|Position Description:||Bates is one of the nation’s leading liberal arts colleges, with a long history of commitments to principles of human dignity and diversity.|
Founded by abolitionists in 1855, Bates has been coeducational and has welcomed students regardless of race and ethnicity since its founding. The college’s commitment to academic excellence, intellectual exploration, inclusivity, and engaged citizenship defines its character.
Bates offers a rigorous and highly personalized education that centers on deep and sustained interactions among students, faculty, and community. Bates engages the forces — intellectual trends, demographic changes, and technology — that are transforming higher education and the world into which our students graduate.
Bates has about 2,000 students from a wide variety of backgrounds. The student body represents 44 states and 53 countries; approximately 23 percent are domestic students of color, 7 percent of students are international, and 13 percent of all students are first generation to college.
The College has 210 faculty members and 750 staff and administrative employees. As one of the top employers in the state, Bates recruits its faculty and staff nationally, regionally, and locally. They consist of diverse individuals with a broad range of intellectual, professional, and personal experience.
Bates is proud of its deep roots in the Lewiston/Auburn community, an urban center with a demographically diverse population of approximately 65,000 people. With a rich industrial past, Lewiston/ Auburn has seen great transition in the last 30 years and offers opportunities for cultural enrichment and meaningful community-engaged learning and leadership. Bates is located on a beautiful, 109-acre, traditional New England campus in Lewiston, a small city enjoying an exciting economic and cultural revitalization. Bates is 35 miles north of Portland, 140 miles north of Boston, and 340 miles north of New York City.
The Compensation and Benefits Analyst works closely with the Director of Compensation and Benefits in the administration of the College’s staff compensation and college-wide benefit programs, including job evaluation, FLSA determination, maintenance of the job description database, position control database, benefit administration and accounting. The Analyst also assists the Director of Compensation and Benefits in compensation and benefit program compliance and planning design/modification initiatives. The Analyst plays a key role in the employment process by providing consistent consultation to the HR Partners to determine appropriate hiring rates within salary administration guidelines.
This is a 2-year term appointment that may be extended based on business need. This is a wonderful opportunity for someone with a desire to grow into a director level position.
Key accountabilities include:
• Conducts position classifications, reclassifications, and pricing of jobs including review of campus equity and market comparisons in conjunction with HR Partners.
1. Processes compensation section of position requisition form and reviews and updates job descriptions, if required.
2. Position benchmarking for departments as requested and annually for campus-wide market review. Research FLSA, BLS, DOL, CUPA, and other databases as needed.
• Completes periodic salary surveys.
• Monitors changes in regulations to ensure continued compliance.
• Follows Fair Labor Standards Act regulations to determine exempt/nonexempt overtime designation of staff jobs. Answers overtime-related questions.
• Supports annual staff increase process (June-July).
• As requested, assists HR Partners and department managers in job design/job description creation.
• Assists the Director of Compensation and Benefits with preparing employee communication materials related to the compensation program or processes.
• Keeps abreast of current compensation trends in the marketplace and higher education.
• Performs monthly tracking of benefit eligibility and reconciliation with the vendor invoices.
• Prepares and processes monthly benefit vendor invoices.
• Assists in the annual reconciliation of general ledger accounts.
• Assists in the annual enrollment process including vendor analysis, contribution rate determination and estimate of overall program costs.
• Monitors retirement program limits, participation and eligibility.
• Assists with the Form 5500 preparation and audit.
• Assists with other required benefit compliance reports including those related to the Affordable Care Act.
• Monitors Banner (HRIS) and other data sources to manage employee/COBRA/retiree benefit eligibility and benefit-level changes. Enter benefits enrollment and change information in the Banner system.
• Monitors and maintains the structure of position control, create new positions or edit as needed.
• Enters compensation in position requisition system.
• Tracks and confirms that employees have accurately completed and turned in all required benefit forms in a timely manner.
• Ensures data integrity by regularly auditing all benefit-related information in the Banner system.
• Maintains accurate, complete benefit files for active and terminated employees. Ensure that all applicable documentation is entered into the Banner Document Management System (BDMS).
• Collaborates with other HR team members to address organizational needs, and initiates, participates in, leads/manages a variety of projects or provides direction on HR-related programs and practices including wellness program projects and initiatives.
• Ensures consistency, communication and collaboration in a small yet complex environment.
• Assists in preparing periodic communications and upkeep of the Human Resources website.
• Prepares clear and concise reports and delivers formal presentations or training to staff and faculty.
• Seeks and participates in professional development activities.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required, business concentration helpful. CEBS, CMS, CCP or other certified compensation or benefits designation desired or willingness to obtain such certification.
The ideal candidate will have:
5+ years of compensation and/or benefit program management experience (higher emphasis on compensation experience).
Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships. Must be flexible, collaborative and have a positive attitude.
Excellent communication (written, verbal, and presentation) skills.
High level of attention to detail.
Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; ability to synthesize complex or diverse information.
Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
Impeccable organizational (time, task, project management) skills.
Demonstrated ability to collaborate with teammates and clients by building trust and credibility.
Solid understanding compensation and benefits
High level of proficiency in spreadsheet data manipulation functions in Excel.
Proficiency in using and understanding HRIS products (Banner, Peoplesoft, PeopleAdmin, ADP, etc.).
Knowledge of basic accounting principles desired.
Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as needed.
Ability and willingness to travel (by car, air, train or bus) domestically as needed.
Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings and other non-traditional schedules.
Personal commitment to excellence and the mission of a top-tier small liberal arts college.
Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusivity and to serving the needs of a culturally and educationally diverse and inclusive community with diplomacy and tact.
3+ years of demonstrated experience in data analysis or and/or account reconciliation. Successful completion of a criminal records background and credit check.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Bates College offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits (health, dental, 9% retirement contribution with potential for an additional 3% match, 24 days of vacation*, 12 paid holidays, free parking, access to library and athletic facilities & more) and a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and smoke-free workplace. *Benefits may be tied to years of service or may be prorated for employees working less than full-time or 12 months.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. This position requires successful completion of a pre-employment background screening. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. (References will not be contacted without your permission.)