|Position Description:||Description: Reporting to the Vice President for Administration and General Counsel, the Director of Human Resources is responsible for developing and applying human resource policies, implementing HR programs, and managing the human resource function for an employee base of approximately 450 full-time and 350 part-time employees.|
• Directs recruitment and employment activities, assuring that qualified employees are recruited and hired in accordance with established policies. Strategizes with staff to creatively seek opportunities to recruit the desired talent pool. Provides support for initiatives to recruit, retain, and develop a professional and diverse workforce.
• Encourages and supports an atmosphere conducive to high employee morale.
• Plans and directs implementation and administration of employee benefit programs including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, workers’ compensation, retirement, leave plans, and unemployment.
• Collaborates with other managers to support and further the School’s Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging Program goals.
• Investigates employee relations issues and coordinates resolutions; recommends and facilitates effective solutions in alignment with applicable policies and laws; coaches and advises staff on organizational, employee, and labor relations issues.
• Provides leaders at all levels of the organization with proactive, consultative and strategic advice related to policy, procedure, and best practices.
• Prepares and issues manuals establishing policies, and interprets such policies for department heads and employees.
• Oversees the implementation and communication of current legal and compliance requirements under federal, state, and city laws. Consults legal counsel on an as needed basis.
• Prepares and submits reports required by law to be filed with federal/state agencies.
• Creates and manages human resource department budget. Has input into overall institution budget regarding benefits and other HR related items.
• Manages the performance of three direct reports. Sets team objectives, priorities, and resources to align with department objectives.
• Oversees the maintenance of employment data in human resource information system. Will oversee the implementation of a new HRIS over the next 24 months.
• Represents management in negotiating union collective bargaining agreements.
• Plans and implements a training and professional development program for managers and staff.
• Oversees onboarding/HR orientation for new employees in collaboration with hiring managers to help ensure a smooth onboarding process, including managing background checks and other necessary employment verifications.
• Oversees termination of employment process.
• In collaboration with senior management and department heads, coordinates the contract preparation process for College, Pre-College, MAP, and Evening Division faculty.
• Serves as a deputy Title IX coordinator and a member of the Title IX team.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Minimum ten years of progressive HR generalist experience. Higher education or performing arts experience preferred but not required.
• Outstanding leadership qualities, specific relevant expertise and significant management experience.
• Proven experience as a program/function builder.
• The ability to build and maintain effective relationships.
Experience with a unionized workforce preferred.