|Position Description:||Associate Vice President/Controller Finance and Business|
Penn State University (PSU) & the Penn State College of Medicine (COM) seek an experienced financial executive to serve as the Associate Vice President (AVP), Finance & Business, Penn State University, & Controller, Penn State College of Medicine. This broadly responsible & highly visible member of the Senior Management Team provides strategic leadership in the financial oversight & stewardship of University resources at the COM. The position collaborates closely with the financial, academic & clinical leadership at Penn State University, Penn State Health, & the Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center to advance the academic missions of biomedical & health sciences research & education at the Penn State COM campus in Hershey, PA.
Penn State College of Medicine
Established in 1963 with a gift of $50 million & real estate from the Milton S. Hershey Foundation, the Penn State COM is part of an academic medical center that includes the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Penn State Children's Hospital, & Penn State Health Academic Medical Division. The COM is committed to enhancing the quality of life through improved health, the professional preparation of those who will serve the health needs of others, & the discovery of knowledge that will benefit all. Located 90 miles from University Park Campus in Hershey, Pennsylvania, the COM enrolls over 900 medical & graduate students & employs approximately 1800 faculty & staff. The annual operating budget for FY2020 is $318 million with $115 million in projected research awards.
University Financial Relationship
PSU & PSH have a synergistic relationship, sharing mutual missions & interdependencies. PSH supports, operationally & financially, the Penn State COM. A Master Affiliation Agreement serves as an umbrella agreement, coordinating & confirming the various commitments of Penn State & PSH to one another. The financial relationships between Penn State & PSH have been documented in such agreements as the Academic Support Payment, the Facility Use Agreement & the Intercompany Services Agreement. The agreements between Penn State & PSH are reviewed regularly & will be updated from time to time to reflect ordinary course changes in allocation of services, use of facilities & provision of support among parties.
This position will report to the Senior Vice President for Finance & Business/Treasurer of Penn State University & have a dotted-line reporting relationship to the Interim Dean (and ultimately, the Dean), Penn State COM. Planning for a national search for a permanent Dean is currently underway. Reporting to the AVP for Finance & Business/Controller is a highly functioning team that includes an Assistant Vice President for Finance & Business, an Assistant Vice President of Facilities, a Director of Faculty Financial Affairs, & a Director of Auxiliary & Business Services. The position has direct oversight of the COM's annual operating budget of $318 million (FY2020).
The successful candidate will demonstrate a high degree of emotional intelligence & organizational engagement & senior administrative experience to effectively navigate the highly complex organizational structure of an academic health center & integrated health system. The AVP for Finance & Business/Controller will serve as a partner & strategic thought leader in building sustainable operational & financial models to support a common vision & strategic plan to grow the research, academic & clinical missions.
• As AVP for Finance & Business, oversee all Hershey campus facilities & infrastructure, including safety, environmental, energy procurement, business services, campus master planning, including all campus-related construction financing & real estate agreements
• Provide strategic thought leadership to the Dean & University leadership on the financial aspects of the COM's strategic plan development & alignment with broader University strategic initiatives in support of biomedical & health sciences research & education
• Steward University-owned assets at the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center campus, working in collaboration with the Penn State Health Chief Financial Officer as fiduciaries of the Master Affiliation Agreement between PSU & Penn State Health that confirms various financial & operating commitments by Penn State Health & Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in support of the COM
• Oversee & update various agreements set forth by the Master Affiliation Agreement between PSU & Penn State Health, including the Academic Support Payment, Facility Use Agreement, & Intercompany Services Agreement
• Work with the Dean, Vice Deans, Institute Directors, & Department Chairs, to lead the development of the College of Medicine's annual operating & capital budgets
• As Controller for the COM, work collaboratively with the Associate Vice President for Finance & Controller, Penn State University, to provide day-to-day oversight of all control functions including accounting & budgeting, payroll, accounts payable, & research, endowment & gift funds. This includes responsibility for college financial reporting, year-end closing & oversight of all College reserves
• Oversee management of COM revenues & expenses, including, contract & agreement negotiation & execution, as well as cost allocations
• Support the Academic Compensation Committee & oversee the drafting of faculty offer letters, coordinating faculty compensation changes & discretionary bonus & incentive award payments
• Serve as a key member of the PSU Finance & Business Leadership Team, the Dean's Leadership Team, Penn State Hershey Executive Council, Clinical Leadership Forum, & Penn State Hershey Facilities Resources Board
• Prepare & make executive presentations before Penn State University Board of Trustees & the Finance, Business, & Capital Planning Committee on proposed action items & informational briefings related to the COM
• Answer complex inquiries requiring explanation, persuasion, & interpretation of policies to faculty, staff, & students
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
• Minimum seven to ten years of experience in a senior financial management leadership role managing financial & business functions in a large complex organization, preferably in an academic healthcare organization, with matrixed & interdependent reporting relationships
• Qualifications include a master's degree in Business Administration, or related field (e.g., Public Administration, Health Administration, etc.) from an accredited institution and/or a CPA designation
• Strong preference for executives with management experience within a similarly organized research-oriented, academic medical center & college of medicine or experience in higher education environment with working knowledge of tuition revenue, gifts & endowments, as well as of emphasis on education & research
• Candidates must demonstrate confidence & past effectiveness in working collaboratively with academic executives across broad financial matters including budgeting, cost allocations, & containment & compensation
• Candidates must have strong interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of organizational management. Candidates must be highly collaborative with exceptional communication skills, both verbal & written
• Candidates must possess a proven ability of developing & presenting financial/budgetary information to a variety of internal & external audiences
• Candidates must possess superior problem-solving skills necessary to organize, plan, & execute full scope of operational activities
• Candidates must demonstrate the ability contribute to & support the professional growth & development of direct & indirect reports
OTHER SKILLS & PERSONAL QUALITIES
• Results-oriented with high level of energy & a passion for continuous improvement & innovation
• An effective communicator who brings a track record of superior mentoring, consensus building, teamwork, & interpersonal skills
• A strong service orientation, sense of integrity, & commitment to diversity
• An entrepreneurial leader willing to apply data-informed decision-making in recommending calculated risks in appropriate situations
• Unquestioned integrity with a track record of seeking excellence
Apply online at https://apptrkr.com/1770583
For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an eo/aa employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gend