|Position Description:||UC San Diego|
Employee Relations Specialist Supervisor
Filing Deadline: Tue 3/17/2020
Salary Range: $105,000 - $135,000 / Year
The UC San Diego Human Resources Department is the campus central office encompassing numerous core campus organizations that include DisAbility Counseling and Consulting, Equal Opportunity Services, Compensation and Classification, Benefits, Employee Relations, Talent Acquisition and Data Analytics, Faculty and Staff Assistance Program, Labor Relations, Retirement Resource Center, Policy Development and Work Life, Staff Education and Development, and Temporary Employment Services.
As a member of Campus Human Resources Employee Relations team, this position provides guidance to all levels within the organization, utilizing specialized employee relations expertise within area of responsibility to resolve questions, concerns and grievances for individual employees and a large, complex group of employees in creative and effective ways.Internal and external contacts often pertain to significant employee relations programs and objectives. Normally receives little direction on assignments. Supervises embedded personnel.
As an Employee Relations professional, provides E.R. management services and communicates with all department levels while maintaining an awareness of public relations. Incumbent also provides conflict management and work force modification services, provides litigation coordination, program education and research, and all while completing special projects.
• Must be willing and able to travel.
• Must have access to reliable transportation.
• Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
• Advanced organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations. Demonstrated skill to interpret and integrate theories and practices of management, training and development into effective human resources practices.
• Advanced knowledge of employee relations function and other subject areas of human resources. Knowledge of current trends/developments in the field of human resources.
• Advanced knowledge of union / labor contracts. Demonstrated knowledge of employee relations laws and practices with knowledge of labor relations laws and practices in a collective bargaining environment.
• Advanced knowledge of applicable state and federal laws and regulations. These include FLSA, EEO/AA, State Labor Code, ADA, Workers’ Compensation regulations, DFEH, EEOC, FMLA and CFRA. Demonstrated knowledge of employee relations laws and practices with knowledge of labor relations laws and practices in a collective bargaining environment.
• Capable in developing, interpreting, implementing and administering organization-wide human resources policies and processes. Demonstrated skill to interpret and integrate theories and practices of management, training and development into effective human resources practices.
• Effective written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated oral and written communication skills required to effectively interact with the public, faculty, students and staff in daily operations and via formal presentations.
• Demonstrated ability to handle extremely difficult or volatile situations / individuals effectively. Demonstrated interpersonal skills required to effectively interact with the public, faculty, students and staff in daily operations.
• Demonstrated skills to provide guidance to managers and employees on complex and significant employee relations issues. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals and groups of management and staff to incorporate their ideas, adapt to their needs and to encourage them to accept actions and decisions to implement UCSD best practices.
• Demonstrated skills and abilities in leading management in the areas of conflict and change management. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals and groups of management and staff to assist them to incorporate change. Demonstrated skill in facilitating conflict resolution by negotiating and resolving disputes including effective techniques to persuade and influence others.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise excellent judgment in responding to employee relations related requests. Demonstrated skill in developing programs that are client service driven.
• Understanding of the principles related to management, supervision and leadership to provide expert level advice and counsel. Demonstrated skill to interpret and integrate theories and practices of management, training and development into effective human resources practices.
• Demonstrated success in administering performance management systems and mentoring managers on the process of evaluating performance. Demonstrated knowledge of human resources practices in a large and highly complex organization including performance management programs.
• Strong creative and analytical skills to research, develop and evaluate multiple solutions that address diverse human resources management issues.
• Demonstrated competency and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
• Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.
• As part of the regular responsibilities of this position, the incumbent sees confidential documents which are used by management in developing positions related to collective bargaining, attends meetings where management positions and strategy regarding collective bargaining issues are discussed, and gathers data important to the formulation of management positions in collective bargaining. Therefore this position is designated as confidential under HEERA.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce.
This position is eligible for full benefits first day of hire:
a) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
b) Vacation/holidays (18 vacation days & 13 paid holidays a year)
c) Work/Life Balance
d) UC Retirement Plan
e) Pet insurance
For more information about UCSD Benefits please visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/quality-index/index.html.
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please click here https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/total-compensation-calculator.php.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html