|Position Description:||World Learning’s accredited academic institution, School for International Training (SIT), seeks a Director of Human Resources (HR) to oversee strategic and on-going HR Administration and provides HR organizational support to managers and employees (faculty and staff) in the areas of employee relations, retention, workforce utilization, coaching, performance maximization and recruitment. The position will serve as the lead human resources point of contact and will be responsible for delivering the department’s goals and proving support across all employee types who are both based at SIT’s main campus and globally. S/he will foster and maintain positive relationships with managers and staff at all levels of the organization to ensure effective administration, definition, and delivery of all benefits, recruitment and employee relations related policies and programs. The Director of HR will participate in policy development and review and will provide support to managers and employees in the area of policy interpretation and application for federal/state/local and when applicable international- employment laws and internal HR policies both at a local and global level.|
This position requires frequent work with confidential information including employee information, compensation, and benefits. The Director of HR will be responsible for counseling managers and employees on labor laws and World Learning’s HR policies; providing guidance to SIT’s leadership teams to foster good employee relations; supporting recruitment for departments; expanding recruitment sources; facilitating compensation policies to managers; overseeing performance management process; managing benefits plans and programs; ensuring regulatory compliance; and supporting roll out of new HR systems. The position will supervise the International HR Manger and the Senior HR Administrator and will be responsible for assuring that the unit’s personnel actions and activities are compliant with relevant federal/state/local- and when applicable international- policies. The position will be responsible for integrating HR best practices within the unit. The position will be based in World Learning’s Vermont office.
The Director of HR will be responsible for providing HR guidance and support to all staff, who are located in the Vermont campus and also SIT staff (faculty and staff) located both in Vermont and globally.:
• Provide counseling to managers and employees (faculty and staff) in the interpretation and application of federal, state, and local and when applicable international employment laws and World Learning’s HR policies and procedures;
• Maintain a high degree of confidentiality and discretion in the management of sensitive information;
• Provide employee relations counseling to the SIT executive team, managers and individual contributors as needed;
• Provide recruitment-related support to hiring departments, including recruitment process approvals, screening of resumes and participating in the interview process, and provide basic interviewing skills training and/or coaching as needed;
• Assist managers and employees with compensation and pay-related issues to ensure fair and equitable application of compensation policy;
• Oversee the performance management cycle and ensure all employees receive formal and written annual reviews;
• Continually assess and expand recruitment sources, particularly specialized internet sites, to reach a well-qualified and diverse applicant pool;
• Partner with benefits/compensation and systems team members to ensure efficient and cost-effective administration of all benefit plans and programs to include (medical, dental, vision, flex spending, 403B, life insurance, STD/LTD, online benefits administration system and employee benefits self-serve portal, leave programs including; paid time off, tuition assistance, tuition exchange, professional development, computer loan, Vermont staff events and other programs);
• Ensure regulatory compliance with legal requirements pertinent to the day-to-day management of employees;
• Collaborate with the legal department when necessary;
• Supervise SIT’s International HR Manager on application of policies that affect staff in international locations;
• Support the roll out of new HR systems and tools by delivering training to users, handling questions, and troubleshooting;
• Provide supervision and oversight of the International HR Manager and the HR Administrator.
• Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in a related field, Master’s degree highly desired;
• Six to ten years of related HR generalist experience with three to five years’ experience in a managerial role;
• Experience working in an educational environment or a university setting will be required;
• Three to five years’ experience in employee relations within a diverse community;
• Demonstrated experience in supervising staff and/or managing small teams;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, manage projects, and meet deadlines;
• Excellent judgment and decision-making skills;
• Ability to work with all levels within the organization and with a diverse employee population;
• Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MSWord, Excel and HRIS/HRMS;
• Ability to handle confidential information;
• Experience analyzing HR functions in the context of a global organization.
Why World Learning Inc.
Eighty-five years later, World Learning Inc. continues to lead worldwide efforts to foster empathy among people from different cultures. Our global nonprofit World Learning offers 79 global programs that improve education and employment opportunities around the world while promoting civic engagement and strengthening institutions. Our School for International Training offers study abroad programs to 2,200 students each year. And the Experiment in International Living has provided semester long homestays, service, and study opportunities to more than 70,000 students since its inception.
World Learning Inc. is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action/veterans/ADA employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce.