|Position Description:||Executive Director of Academic Human Resources|
Virginia Commonwealth University invites nominations, expressions of intent, and applications for an exceptional leader to serve as the Executive Director of Academic Human Resources. In direct support of VCU's priority of recruiting and retaining a talented and diverse faculty, the Executive Director of Academic Human Resources leads the university's centralized faculty and academic human resources functions for the entire VCU community within the Office of the Provost. The executive director is a project-driven position responsible for a wide variety of faculty human resources policies, programs, and procedures, which promote equitable and consistent human resources practices in support of the life cycle of a faculty member.
The executive director oversees and recommends process improvements to several functional areas to include faculty appointment and contract administration; faculty salary administration; faculty human resources related policies; salary increases from promotions; development of faculty human resources procedures; and oversight for the content of Faculty HR, a comprehensive web resource for HR staff and other administrators responsible for faculty human resources management.
The executive director is expected to be a trusted member of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Sr. Vice Provost for Academic Affairs leadership teams, to include the handling of time sensitive and highly confidential human resources matters.
This position is responsible for providing ongoing consultative decision making, communications, training, tools, strategic planning and resources to individuals in the colleges, schools, and units who are responsible for faculty human resources so that they can build and maximize their knowledge, skills, and abilities and become content “experts” for their respective area(s). This position leads other HR Professionals and colleagues to make decisions that are often difficult or high-stakes.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor's degree in an area related to position responsibilities, for example, Business, Public Administration,etc.
• 5-7 years of experience in a lead HR role requiring knowledge and application of relevant Federal and State employment laws, and higher ed institution human resources policies and procedures.
• Superior written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees
• Proven ability to understand and independently, creatively solve complex problems which require extensive collaboration and fact finding
• Proven ability to make sound judgments and exercise professional discretion
Someone who is adept in crisis management
• Exceptional analytical and planning skills with innovative, lean thinking; someone who can create efficiencies and streamline processes and practices
• Demonstrated experience handling confidential matters
• Proven ability to attend to details and comfort in working at both at both the leadership and operational levels of responsibility
• Proven record of working effectively with diverse constituencies in a university community
• Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Master's degree preferred or equivalent work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree
• HR Certification (ie SHRM SCP or CP, SPHR or PHR, etc.)
• Ability to lead university-wide initiatives and programs
• Experience in university policy development and/or review
• Experience in the development and implementation of administrative procedures
• Strength in effectively communicating complex technical information clearly to diverse audiences, with varying levels of understanding.
• Ability to develop and deliver training and related materials
• Proven ability to work collegially and effectively with members of a team
• Ability to prioritize work, manage multiple assignments, and meet deadlines
• Supervisory experience preferred
• Familiarity with VCU's organizational structure and particularly the role of HR staff in an academic environment, including faculty HR policies such as tenure and hiring
The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
VCU's Executive Search Team is assisting Virginia Commonwealth University in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted.
For best consideration, please submit application materials prior to April 4, 2020.
Application materials should be submitted to the VCU eJobs portal located at this link: https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/97909.
Additionally, confidential inquiries, nominations and application materials should be directed to Carol Ann Lawson, Lawsonca3@vcu.edu
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.